- Built:c. 1543
- Founder: Jinbo clan
- Reconstructed:1954(Mogi Tenshu)
- Location:Etchû province
It was originally built by retainers of the Jinbo clan, sometime around 1543. It served as the center of the clan's power during struggles against the Shiina clan for dominance in the region.
The castle fell to Uesugi Kenshin in 1560, who allowed the Jinbo retainers to maintain control of it, after declaring their loyalty to the Uesugi. Under Kojima Motoshige, Toyama repelled attacks from the Ikkô-ikki of Etchû in 1572.
Following the death of Nobunaga, the castle came into the hands of the Maeda clan. Maeda Toshinaga retired to Toyama in 1605, passing on the position of daimyô of Kaga han to his brother Maeda Toshitsune. Around 1639, Toshitsune granted Toyama to his son Maeda Toshitsugu as a separate domain (han).
Lords of Toyama
- Jinbo clan (c. 1543-1581)
- Sassa Narimasa (1581-1582; under Oda Nobunaga)
- Maeda Toshinaga (1605-1639)
- Maeda Toshitsugu (1639 - ?)
- Inoue, Munekazu. Nihon no Meijô Yûzankaku Publishers, 1992.
- Terada Shôichi (ed.) Meijô wo aruku 2: Kanazawa-jô. Tokyo: PHP Kenkyûsho, 2002.