Sadowara han was an Edo period domain based at Sadowara castle in Hyûga province (today, Miyazaki City, Miyazaki prefecture) and ruled by a branch of the Shimazu clan. The domain had a kokudaka of 27,000 koku.
The Shimazu took Sadowara from the Itô clan in the late 1570s, and passed it down through several Shimazu castellans until in the early 1600s, it was officially established as an Edo period domain, with Shimazu Yukihisa (aka Mochihisa) as its first lord. The domain continued to be ruled by this Shimazu branch family throughout the Edo period.
Lords of Sadowara
- Shimazu Yukihisa
- Shimazu Hisamoto
- Shimazu Tadamochi
- Shimazu Tadayuki (1816-1839)
- Shimazu Tadahiro (1839-1871)
- Honjin shoku ha tsurai yo, exhibit pamphlet, Kusatsu: Shiseki Kusatsujuku honjin (2020).