Samurai-Archives

Reikan-ji

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The main gates to Reikan-ji.
  • Other Names: 谷御所 (tani no gosho)
  • Japanese: 霊鑑寺 (reikanji)

Reikan-ji is a Rinzai Zen nunnery in the Shishigatani neighborhood of northeastern Kyoto.

Established in 1654 by Emperor Go-Mizunoo, the temple belongs to the Nanzen-ji branch of Rinzai Zen. Reikan-ji's abbesses came from the Imperial family, and many of the nuns were monzeki (members of aristocratic families who took the tonsure). The temple was originally located a short distance to the south, but moved in 1687 to take over the palace of Retired Emperor Go-Sai, which was offered to the temple. Some of these buildings survive today; most of the rest were built with funding from Shogun Tokugawa Ienari.

Reikan-ji possesses numerous treasures associated with the Imperial family, including works of calligraphy by Emperors Go-Nara, Ôgimachi, Go-Mizunoo, and Go-Sai, and a jûnihitoe set of robes worn by Tôfukumon'in.

References

  • Plaques on-site.

External Links

Personal tools