- Japanese: 鳴海宿 (Narumi juku)
Narumi-juku was a post-station town located a short distance from Atsuta Shrine in Nagoya. The 40th of the 53 stations of the Tôkaidô, Narumi was home to one of the largest honjin on the entire highway, at 676.5 tsubo.
During the Edo period, Narumi was one terminus of the Chôsenjin kaidô, the elite route connecting Ôtsu and Narumi, the use of which was restricted to Korean embassies to Edo and the shogun himself.
Around the end of the period, the town was home to some 3,643 people living in 847 homes. Visitors were lodged in 68 hatagoya, a main honjin, and two waki-honjin. The honjin was moved to the town of Nekoya, renamed Narumi, in 1633; in each generation, its innkeeper was known as Nishio Iemon.
|Stations of the Tôkaidô||Succeeded by:|
- Plaques on-site in Nagoya.
- Miyamoto Tsuneichi 宮本常一, Nihon no shuku 日本の宿, Tokyo: Shakai shisôsha (1965), 168-169.
- Plaques on-site.
- Nam-Lin Hur, "A Korean Envoy Encounters Tokugawa Japan: Shin Yuhan and the Korean Embassy of 1719," Bunmei 21 no. 4 (Aichi University, 2000), 71-72n3.; Toby, Ronald. “Carnival of the Aliens: Korean Embassies in Edo-Period Art and Popular Culture.” Monumenta Nipponica 41:4 (Winter 1986). pp 420-421n.