Samurai-Archives

Matsukura castle

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Built: late Kamakura period
  • Dismantled: 1590s
  • Japanese: 松倉城 (Matsukura-jou)

Matsukura castle was a fortress located in Etchû province, roughly six km upriver from Uozu castle along the Kadokawa, and about 430 m above sea level, on Mt. Kakuma. Only a stone marker stands today on the site.

It was originally built towards the end of the Kamakura period, and was the scene of battles in the Nanboku-chô period.

Matsukura later came under the control of the Shiina clan, who made it their central home castle, and vied with the Jinbo clan for control of the surrounding region; Jinbo Nagamoto attacked Matsukura in 1559 but was repulsed. The castle, commanded at the time by Shiina Yasutane was seized by Uesugi Kenshin in 1575, along with all of Etchû, but fell to an Oda army led by Shibata Katsuie and Sassa Narimasa in 1582 (see Siege of Matsukura). The Maeda clan took control of the castle shortly afterwards, and at some point in the late 1590s, it was dismantled.

References

  • Terada Shôichi (ed.) Meijô wo aruku 2: Kanazawa-jô. Tokyo: PHP Kenkyûsho, 2002.
Personal tools