- Established: 1794
- Japanese: 金沢神社 (Kanazawa jinja)
Kanazawa Shrine is a shrine located on the edges of Kenrokuen in Kanazawa, and built by the 11th Maeda lord of Kaga, Maeda Harunaga, and dedicated to Sugawara no Michizane (aka Tenjin, kami of scholarship), who the Maeda claimed as an ancestor, along with kami of protection from disaster and safe travels.
It was built in 1794, in conjunction with the Meirindō (han school), and watches over the kinjō reitaku, the well where gold was found centuries ago by someone named Imohori Tôgorô, giving the area its name, "Kanazawa," meaning literally "gold marsh."
- Plaques on-site.