- Japanese: 神奈川宿 (Kanagawa-juku)
Kanagawa-juku was one of the 53 stations along the Tôkaidô, early modern Japan's main thoroughfare.
Though Kanagawa was originally stipulated in the Harris Treaty and the other treaties of 1858 as a treaty port, Ii Naosuke was able to implement a violation of these agreements, to open Yokohama as the treaty port instead.
In the Meiji period, Kanagawa train station (Kanagawa-eki) was built in the area, on reclaimed land. The station operated from 1872 until 1928, when it was replaced with Yokohama Station, a short distance away.
|Stations of the Tôkaidô||Succeeded by:|
- Marco Tinello, "The termination of the Ryukyuan embassies to Edo : an investigation of the bakumatsu period through the lens of a tripartite power relationship and its world," PhD thesis, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia (2014), 182-183.