Samurai-Archives

Izumisaki-bashi

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Japanese: 泉崎橋 (Izumi saki bashi)

Izumisaki-bashi is a bridge in Naha, the capital of Okinawa prefecture. Historically, it connected Izumisaki, on the mainland of Okinawa Island, with Kumemura on Ukishima. The Kumemura end of the bridge came right in front of the district's Confucian shrine, and thus became a waiting spot for those waiting for someone at the shrine.

Originally made of wood, Izumisaki-bashi was replaced with a stone bridge in 1717, which appears in numerous versions of the "Eight Views of Ryûkyû" - that is, in images of the famous sites of Ryûkyû by Chinese investiture envoys, and by the ukiyo-e artist Hokusai. The bridge was destroyed in World War II, and was replaced with a new bridge 100 meters downstream in 1958.

References

  • Plaques on-site in Kume district, Naha.[1]
Personal tools