Born in 1854, Ichimura Tetsunosuke was the third son of Ichimura Hanemoki, a samurai from Ogaki-han. Ichimura Tetsunosuke joined the Shinsengumi with his older brother Ichimura Tatsunosuke in 1867. After the Battle of Koshu-Katsunuma, Tatsunosuke deserted from the Koyo Chinbutai (the renamed Shinsengumi) but Tetsunosuke stayed. During the Battle of Hakodate, Hijikata Toshizo ordered Tetsunosuke to escape from there and take his sword,photograph,hair and death poem to Sato Hikogoro in Hino. About 2 months after Hijikata's death, Tetsunosuke arrived at Sato's house and stayed there for 3 years. Then he returned to his home in Ogaki.
There are a few theories in regard of Ichimura Tetsunosuke's death date, while many believe that Ichimura joined Saigo Takamori's army and died during the Satsuma Rebellion in 1877, some believe that he died from an illness in 1873. In conclusion, the date of his death is uncertain.
- Shinsengumi Dokuhon~Taishi Gaiden 2 (新選組読本 隊士外伝) Namegata:Tamatsukuri, 2006
- Shinsengumi Taishi Den (新選組隊士伝) Gakken
- Shinsengumi Zentaishi Tettei Guide (新選組全隊士徹底ガイド) Maeda Masaki
- Shinsengumi Yowa (新選組余話) Kojima Masataka
- J-Wikipedia Ichimura Tetsunosuke