- For the Ryukyuan Council of State, see hyôjôju.
- Japanese: 評定所 (hyôjôsho)
The Hyôjôsho, established in 1634, was the judicial council under the Tokugawa shogunate. It was equivalent to the Monchûjo council of the earlier Kamakura shogunate. It was comprised of the rôjû, the highest officials in the shogunate government, and a number of bugyô, who headed certain executive departments. The role of the council was partially executive, and partially judicial, and they served from a Council Chamber within Edo Castle.
Unlike many modern governmental councils or organizations, the Hyôjôsho members had other responsibilities and powers, outside of being members of the Council. In addition to the rôjû, the members of the Hyôjôsho were the Edo machi bugyô (Town Magistrate), jisha bugyô (Magistrates of Shrines and Temples), kujikata kanjô bugyô (Magistrate of Judicial Finances) and their associated kanjô ginmiyaku, and the kujikata ômetsuke and metsuke (Inspectors).
When consulted as a group, the Hyôjôsho was paired or opposed with the officials of the Fuyô no ma, who tended to be less conservative, advocating greater reforms.
- Mitani Hiroshi, David Noble (trans.), Escape from Impasse, International House of Japan (2006), xxx.
- George Sansom, A History of Japan: 1615-1867, Stanford University Press (1963).