Zuiunzan Dairyû-ji was a Rinzai Zen Buddhist temple in Kagoshima. A branch temple of Tôfuku-ji in Kyoto, it was one of the Three Temples of Kagoshima (mi-ke-dera, 三ヶ寺), along with Fukushô-ji and Jôkômyô-ji.
It was founded on the former site of a castle built by Shimazu Takahisa following his victory over Shimazu Sanehisa for dominance of the Shimazu clan. A lively center of political and cultural activity for around fifty years, the castle fell into disuse after Shimazu Iehisa built Tsurumaru castle. The site was then converted to a temple, which was named Zuiunzan Dairyû-ji, using the characters dai and ryû from the art-names of Takahisa and his son Shimazu Yoshihisa. Nanpo Bunshi was invited to be the first abbot of the temple.
The temple was abolished sometime in the mid-17th century, but was re-established in 1679. It held the memorial plaques (ihai) of a number of Ryukyuan envoys to Edo, including those of Chatan Chôshû and Nago Chôgen, who died in Kagoshima during their missions.
Following the destruction of the temple, the site is today Dairyû Elementary School.
- Plaques on-site.
- Plaques on-site in Kanmachi, Kagoshima.
- Miyagi Eishô 宮城栄昌, Ryûkyû shisha no Edo nobori 琉球使者の江戸上り, Tokyo: Daiichi Shobô (1982), 208.