The Chôyô-maru was a steam warship constructed by the Dutch government on the request of the Tokugawa shogunate. It was delivered to the shogunate at Nagasaki on 1858/5/3; at first called the Edo, it was later renamed Chôyô-maru.
Following the Meiji Restoration, the Chôyô-maru came into the possession of the newly-formed Imperial Japanese Navy. The following year, it was sunk by the Banryû-maru, a ship belonging to the Republic of Ezo, in the 1869 Battle of Hakodate.
- Ishin Shiryô Kôyô 維新史料綱要, vol 2 (1937), 559.