Samurai-Archives

Adani-ga-daki

From SamuraiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Adani-gaa-daki
  • Japanese/Okinawan: 安谷川嶽 (Adani gaa daki)

Adani-gaa-daki is an Okinawan utaki, or sacred place, associated with the nearby Adani-gaa natural water spring. It also bore a connection to the Ôamushirare, three high-ranking high priestesses of the Ryûkyû Kingdom.

The site is located in the Tônokura neighborhood of Shuri, along the old shuku michi (post road) connecting Shuri and Urasoe. It features a stone gate separating the inner space from the outer space; within the inner space are located sacred stones, a stone circle, and the entrance to a small cave.

Two stelae flank the entrance to the outer section of the space, where it is separated from the road. One stele, erected in 1814, attests that the residents of Tônokura contributed to form a fund to maintain the site, while the other was erected after World War II, when the site was restored. The site was named a Tangible Folk Cultural Asset by the city of Naha in 1977.

References

  • Plaques on-site at Adani-gaa, and at Adani-gaa-daki.

External Links

Personal tools