Kaei 5 (嘉永五年)
Timeline of 1852
- 1852/6/7 A fire starts at Dairinji and soon spreads, destroying 280 buildings in Furuichi, near Ise.
- 1852/6/24 The Russian ship Mentchikof comes to Shimoda and tries to deliver a number of castaways, but is turned away by Nirayama daikan Egawa Tarozaemon, who refuses to accept the castaways.
- 1852/6/29 The Russian ship Mentchikof deposits a number of castaways in Izu province and departs.
- 1852/7/22 A storm causes flooding and much damage in Kyoto and surrounding regions.
- 1852/10/13 An American squadron commanded by Commodore Matthew Perry departs Norfolk, Virginia, bound for Ryûkyû and Japan.
- 1852/11/1-5 Commodore Perry's fleet spends time in the Madeira Islands in the eastern Atlantic, before turning south along the western coast of Africa.
Other Events of 1852
- Bernard Bettelheim produces the first translation of the Bible into the Okinawan language.
- King Mongkut (Rama IV) sends a tribute mission to China in conjunction with his succession to the throne the previous year. This is the final Siamese tribute mission to ever be sent to China.
- Matsudaira Katamori succeeds Matsudaira Katataka to become lord of Aizu domain.
- Môri Motochika succeeds Môri Motoyuki to become lord of Chôfu domain.
Births and Deaths
- 1852/1/19 Nagamine Sôkyô, Ryukyuan court painter, is born (d. 1932).
- 1852/1/27 Konoe Tomoko dies.
- 1852/2/18 Sculptor Takamura Kôun is born (d. 1934).
- 1852/int.2/3 Matsudaira Katataka, lord of Aizu domain, dies.
- 1852/int.2/27 Môri Motoyuki, lord of Chôfu han, dies.
- 1852/6/17 Sanada Yukitsura dies.
- 1852/6/17 Imperial Princess Yoriko dies.
- 1852/8/21 Prince Sonchô, monshu of Chion-in dies.
- 1852/9/1 Matsudaira Chôkichirô, the 12th son of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi, is born (d. 1853).
- 1852/9/22 An imperial prince is born who will later become Emperor Meiji.
- 1852/10/6 Narabayashi Sôken dies.
- 1852/11/21 Zeniya Gohei dies in prison.
- Josiah Conder is born (d. 1920).
- Gojong, the last king of Korea, is born (d. 1919).
- Artist Kawamura Kiyoo is born (d. 1934).
- Kodama Gentarô, 4th Governor-General of Taiwan, is born (d. 1906).
- Artist Kubota Beisen is born (d. 1906).
- Kuki Ryûichi is born (d. 1931).
- Min Yeongjun is born (d. 1935).