Tenpô 3 (天保三年)
Timeline of 1832
- 1832/7/28 Riot in Kurume han.
- 1832/8 Hiroshige begins his first journey on the Tôkaidô.
- 1832/8/19 Execution of thief Nezumi kozô.
- 1832/11/24 Bakufu sets up oil exchange in Edo.
- 1832/12 Manmade mountain Mt Tenpô completed.
Other Events of 1832
- The British merchant ship Amherst or Lord Amherst, captained by John Rees, arrives at Naha.
- Hokusai's Ryûkyû Hakkei are published.
- Ryukyuan embassy journeys to Edo. While there, a number of members of the mission, led by sangikan Oroku peechin, visit the grave of Higa peechin, who died in Edo in 1806.
- Roughly one-quarter of all books published in the Edo period on Ryukyu-related topics are published this year.
- Strong winds and dryness cause famine in Ryûkyû.
Births and Deaths
- 1832 January 20 Henry Heusken, member of the Townsend Harris expedition, is born (d. 1861).
- Hattori Takeo, member of the Shinsengumi, is born (d. 1867).
- Nakamura Masanao is born (d. 1891).
- Ôki Takatô is born (d. 1899).
- Rai San'yô dies (b. 1780).
- Yanagawa Shigenobu dies (b. 1787).
- Yokoi Kinkoku dies (b. 1761).