Bunsei 4 (文政四年)
Timeline of 1821
Other Events of 1821
- The Dutch East India Company (VOC) imports a pair of camels into Japan and parades them from Nagasaki up to Edo.
- Shogunal territory in Ezo is returned to Matsumae han, and assimilation policies towards the Ainu are reversed - Ainu are now encouraged to be less Japanese; this in response to the lessening threat from Russia.
- Inô Tadataka's Dai nihon enkai yochi zenzu, a series of 225 maps resulting from his own thorough surveys of the archipelago, is completed and submitted to the shogunate.
Births and Deaths
- 1821/9/26 Arashi Rikan I dies.
- Geographer Honda Toshiaki dies (b. 1744).
- The Taewongun is born (d. 1898).
- Yamagata Bantô dies (b. 1748).