Kansei 4 (寛政四年)
Timeline of 1792
- 1792/5 Rangaku scholar and doctor Hayashi Shihei is confined under house arrest; the printing blocks for his books Kaikoku Heidan (Military Discussion of Maritime Nations) and Sangoku Tsûran Zusetsu (Illustrated General Survey of Three Countries) are seized and destroyed.
- 1792/5/19 The city savings association (machi kaisho) is established.
- 1792/9 Adam Laxman arrives at Nemuro in Ezo along with Daikokuya Kôdayû, and demands to trade.
- 1792/12 Rôjû Matsudaira Sadanobu orders various daimyo to strengthen coastal defenses.
Other Events of 1792
- Udagawa Genzui completes Seisetsu Naika Sen'yô, the first Japanese translation of a text on internal medicine.
- The Meirindô is established at Kanazawa castle.
- The Sanshikan renders the shinsadame system of Ryukyuan court ranks permanent.
Births and Deaths