An'ei 7 (安永七年)
Timeline of 1778
- 1778/1 The number of rice brokers (fudasashi) in Edo reaches 109.
- 1778/6 Russian ship arrives at Akkeshi in Ezo (Hokkaidô), demanding to trade. Represenatives of Matsumae han turn them away, forcing them to leave the following year.
Other Events of 1778
- Hokusai begins studying under Katsukawa Shunshô.
- First private ship transports goods to Osaka via the Western Circuit, marking the beginning of the kitamaebune.
- Satake Shozan (Yoshiatsu), daimyô of Akita han, produces his Gahô kôryô, the first Japanese essay attempting to set down the rules of Western-style depiction (i.e. perspective and other aspects of Western painting and drawing).
Births and Deaths
- Ichikawa Danjuro IV dies (b. 1712).
- Ichikawa Danjûrô VI is born (d. 1799).
- Komparu Ujitsuna dies.
- Voltaire dies (b. 1694).