Enkyô 5 (延享五年) / Kan'en 1 (寛延元年)
Timeline of 1748
- 1748/5 Kabuki version of Yoshitsune Senbon Zakura debuts at Nakamura-za in Edo.
- 1748/6/1 Korean embassy to Edo has audience with Shogun Ieshige in Edo castle.
- 1748/6/10 Ryukyuan embassy to Edo departs Naha.
- 1748/6/16 Ryukyuan embassy arrives in Kagoshima.
- 1748/8/14 Kanadehon Chûshingura debuts at the Takemoto-za jôruri theatre in Osaka.
- 1748/9 A flood in Aki province kills 132 people.
- 1748/9/9 Ryukyuan embassy departs Kagoshima for Edo.
- 1748/12/1 Kabuki version of Kanadehon Chûshingura debuts at the Naka no Shibai in Osaka.
- 1748/12/11 Ryukyuan embassy arrives in Edo.
- 1748/12/15 Ryukyuan envoys enjoy an audience with the shogun.
- 1748/12/18 Ryukyuan envoys have their second audience with the shogun and are formally granted leave to return home.
- 1748/12/27 or 28 Ryukyuan embassy departs from Edo, to head back to Ryûkyû.
- 1748/12/29 A fire breaks out at the Satsuma mansion in Shiba, and spreads to other daimyô mansions, destroying several.
Other Events of 1748
- Tomimoto Buzentayû breaks away from his teacher, Tokiwazu Mojitayû, marking the beginning of the tomimoto-bushi style of narrative shamisen music.
Births and Deaths
- Kangaku scholar Kan Chazan is born (d. 1827).
- Satake Yoshiatsu, daimyô of Akita han, is born (d. 1785).
- Painter Tachibana Morikuni dies (b. 1679).
- Rangaku scholar Yamagata Bantô is born (d. 1821).