Meireki 2 (明暦二年)
Timeline of 1656
Other Events of 1656
- A ban on Japanese exchanging correspondence with people overseas is rescinded.
- Kumazawa Banzan is forced to resign from the service of Ikeda Mitsumasa.
- A Russian embassy to Beijing insists on presenting diplomatic credentials to the Emperor himself, and not to functionaries. They are denied and return to Russia without a direct audience with the Emperor.
- The Qing Court initiates a sea blockade in an effort to starve out Zheng Chenggong (Coxinga), a Ming loyalist based on Taiwan, but it is largely ineffective.
- A yarô hyôbanki, a predecessor to yakusha hyôbanki (actor critiques), is first published.
- Construction begins on the Shin-Yoshiwara, a new pleasure district further from the city center, to replace the original Yoshiwara.
Births and Deaths
- Pharmacologist Ino Jakusui is born (d. 1715).
- Tea master Kanamori Sôwa dies (b. 1584).
- Raku Dônyû dies (b. 1599).