Keian 5 (慶安五年) / Jôô 1 (承応元年)
Timeline of 1652
- 1652/6/20 Orders are issued for wakashu actors to have their forelocks shaved, the shogunate in essence banning wakashu kabuki.
- 1652/9/18 The Jôô era begins.
- 1652/12 The shogunate orders closed all twelve kabuki and ningyô jôruri theatres in Edo.
Other Events of 1652
- The First Anglo-Dutch War breaks out (continues until 1654).
- The Qing Dynasty sends a mission to Ryûkyû seeking resumption of tribute/investiture relations. Ryûkyû delays on a response.
- Shô Shôken becomes head of Haneji magiri.
Births and Deaths
- Asami Keisai is born (d. 1711).
- Hanabusa Itchô is born (d. 1724).
- Yamashita Hanzaemon is born (d. 1717).