Genna 6 (元和六年)
Timeline of 1620
Other Events of 1620
- The Dutch East India Company, under Jan Pieterzoon Coen, and with the help of 80-100 Japanese mercenaries, seizes the Banda Islands. Tired of negotiations with the islanders, Coen has his men slaughter or enslave some 15,000 inhabitants of the islands, and gives the islands, rich in nutmeg, over to Dutchmen and their slaves to work.
- Imari wares are first produced.
- Construction is begun on Katsura Rikyû.
- The Mayflower departs England for the New World.
- The Taichang Emperor takes the throne in China, and reigns only briefly, being succeeded by the Tianqi Emperor before the end of the year.
- Tokugawa shogunate restores Osaka Castle.
Births and Deaths of 1620
- Princess Komatsu dies (b. 1573).
- King Shô Nei of Ryûkyû dies (b. 1564).
- William Adams, English sea-captain, dies (b. 1564).
- The Wanli Emperor of Ming dies.