Tenshô 7 (天正七年)
Timeline of 1579
- 1579/5/11 Construction of Azuchi castle completed; it becomes Oda Nobunaga's primary residence.
- 1579/5/27 Nobunaga presides over the 'Azuchi Religious Debate', between representatives of Nichiren and Jôdo-shû. Declares Jôdo the winners, and orders three prominent Nichiren monks killed.
- 1579/6/13 Takenaka Hanbei dies.
- 1579/8/29 Assassination of Tsukiyamadono.
- 1579/9/15 Tokugawa Nobuyasu commits seppuku.
Other Events of 1579
- Chinese investiture envoys travel to Ryûkyû for the investiture of King Shô Ei.
- Oda Nobunaga defeats the Môri and Murakami clans in the second battle of Kizugawaguchi.
- The first Raku wares are produced.
- A plaque reading Shurei no kuni ("Land of Propriety") is hung at the gate to Shuri Castle; the gate subsequently comes to be known as the Shureimon.
- Alessandro Valignano, Jesuit "visitor" (supervisor), arrives in Japan.
- The Protestant northern provinces of the Netherlands unite to form the United Provinces, declaring their independence from Spain in the Union of Utrecht.
- A group of Ryukyuan students including Tei Shû become the last batch of Ryukyuan students to travel to China for study until after the 1644 fall of the Ming Dynasty.
Births and Deaths