Meiô 2 (明応二年)
Timeline of 1493
Other Events of 1493
- Shogun Ashikaga Yoshitane defeats the Rokkaku clan.
- Shogun Ashikaga Yoshitane supports Hatakeyama Masanaga against a rival branch of the Hatakeyama clan.
- Hôjô Sôun invades Izu province with a force of roughly 300 men.
- Hôjô Sôun seizes Horigoe castle; Ashikaga Chachamaru is banished and flees to Kai province where he finds shelter with Takeda Nobutsuna.
- Ise Sadaroku is re-appointed governor of Yamashiro province, and seizes power, crushing the peasant rebellion which had controlled the province since 1486.
- A force from Satsuma province invades Amami Ôshima and clashes with forces of the Ryûkyû Kingdom.
- A tally trade mission, co-sponsored by the Hosokawa clan and the Ashikaga shogunate, and consisting of three ships, departs for China.
- Tosa Mitsunobu is named court painter to the Imperial Court.
- The Treaty of Tordesillas divides the world among Spanish and Portuguese jurisdictions for exploration, proselytization, and dominion.
Births and Deaths
- Asakura Takakage, Lord of Echizen, is born (d. 1546).
- Hatakeyama Masanaga commits suicide.
- Hirate Kiyohide, Oda clan retainer, is born (d. 1553).
- Môri Okimoto, Ôuchi clan retainer, is born (d. 1516).
- Takeda Nobutora, father of Takeda Shingen, is born (d. 1573).